YIELD: serves 4-6
ACTIVE TIME: 40 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour and 40 minutes
Ingredients for the ground meat
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 lb ground meat (turkey, chicken, pork or beef)
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 1 eggplant chopped
- ½ cup red wine
- 4 tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook the onion until soft, add the garlic, followed by the vegetables except for the tomatoes, and the spices. Cook to release the flavors.
- Add the meat and fry until fully cooked and no pink shows at all in the meat.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the wine and allow to cook down.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Ingredients for lasagna
- 1/2 box of lasagna
- shredded mozzarella, gouda, parmesan cheese for topping
Ingredients for the cheese mixture
- 3 cups cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 cups shredded cheese (whatever you have in your fridge)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- For the cheese mixture, combine everything in a big bowl and mix them.
- In a baking dish, put a layer of the meat sauce, then the lasagna, then spread a layer of the cheese mixture on top.
- Repeat and then top with mozzarella. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Slice and serve.