ACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 2 pounds of quality stewing beef cut in pieces
- 2 small red onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste, dissolved into a teacup of water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- a glass of red wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1teaspoon cloves
- a pinch of sugar
- 1 box of chickpea pasta
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large pot put the meat and add lots of water. Boil the meat until it is tender for about 1 hour. If needed add more water.
- Heat a large, deep pot to high heat. Put the onions and the garlic in it.
- Sauté them for 3 minutes, until softened. Pour in the red wine, and cook for 4 more minutes. Add the tomato sauce, the tomato paste, the cinnamon stick, the cloves, the bay leaf, the oregano, the thyme, a pinch of sugar and salt and pepper.
- As soon as the sauce comes to the boil, add the beef and 1 cup of water and cook for 10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- When done, boil the pasta into another pot, according to package instructions.