ACTIVE TIME: 25 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour
For the ground meat
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 lb ground meat (turkey, chicken, pork or beef)
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 1 eggplant chopped
- ½ cup red wine
- 4 tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
1 package orzo
1 jar marinara sauce
2 cups shredded cheese ( mozzarella, kefalograviera, parmesan etc)
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook the onion until soft, add the garlic, followed by the vegetables except for the tomatoes, and the spices. Cook to release the flavors.
- Add the meat and fry until fully cooked and no pink shows at all in the meat.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the wine and allow to cook down.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Boil the orzo according to package instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 390oF.
- Drain the orzo and in a bowl mix it with the marinara sauce.
- In a baking dish, put the ground meat, the orzo and the marinara sauce and stir until everything is combined.
- Add the shredded cheese on top and bake for 15-20′.