YIELD: serves 6-8
ACTIVE TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hours and 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick butter melted
- 1 egg beaten and 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup of mixed shredded cheese (gouda, mozzarella, feta, parmesan)
- Place the water, milk, egg, oil, sugar, yeast, oregano, thyme and salt in a large bowl and whisk together until combined.
- Add the flour and mix everything together until a stiff dough forms.
- Divide the dough into eight balls and roll them into circle shapes.
- Brush each dough with the melted butter. Put one over the other and make a stack of the dough.
- Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Cut the dough into long, skinny triangles.
- Spoon some cheese over the triangle.
- Notch the wide end of each triangle with about a 1/2-inch cut, then roll from the wide end to the pointed end, tucking the point under the croissant.
- Preheat the oven to 390oF, and gently brush the croissants with egg and milk.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.