makes 10-15 cookies
- 8 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ tsp red food coloring
- ½ tsp green food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 380oF and prepare the baking sheets with some parchment paper.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer beat all the ingredients together except the food coloring.
- Divide the dough into thirds. In a small bowl combine one portion of dough and red coloring. Mix with hands until color is evenly distributed, gather into a ball and set aside.
- Repeat with green coloring.
- Leave the third portion of dough uncolored.
- Roll the plain dough to a rough rectangle. Repeat with each remaining dough ball. Stack white on top of green and red on top of white. Press together gently.
- Roll into a tight log along side of the rectangle and wrap carefully in plastic wrap. Place it in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife to slice the dough into 10-15 cookies.
- Place the slived cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar if you want.
- Roll the dough into 1- inch balls and place 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Bake for 10- 12 minutes.