ACTIVE TIME: 45minutes
TOTAL TIME: 2 hours
- 1 package phyllo dough thawed
- 1 pound unsalted butter melted
- 4 cups nuts finely chopped (walnuts, pistachios, cashews, almonds)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
For the syrup
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup honey
- juice from one lemon
- Trim phyllo dough to fit your baking dish.
- Butter the bottom and sides of your baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together: the nuts, sugar, cinnamon, cloves.
- Divide the phyllo sheets in 4.
- Place 1/4 phyllo sheets into baking pan one at a time, brushing each sheet with butter once it’s in the pan before adding the next.
- Spread about 1/3 of nut mixture over phyllo dough.
- Add the 1/4 buttered sheets of phyllo, then another 1/3 layer of nuts. Repeat.
- Finish off with 1/4 layers of buttered phyllo sheets. Brush the very top with butter.
- Cut pastry into pieces and bake at 380˚F for 50-60 or until tops are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let baklava cool completely, uncovered and at room temp.
- Let it cool and make the syrup. Combine the honey, sugar, water, and lemon juice in a saucepan, then bring to the boil. Boil for about 10 minutes until the syrup has thickened slightly.
- Immediately spoon hot syrup evenly over the baklava.