1 hour 30 minutes
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup fine semolina
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 package phyllo dough for pies
For the syrup
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup honey
- juice from one orange
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and thaw completely the phyllo dough.
- Oil the bottom and sides of a baking tray.
- We heat the milk with the sugar, semolina, butter, and vanilla. We stir until sugar is dissolved and ingredients mix well. Keep stirring until it comes to boil. Lower the temperature and slowly add the eggs. Keep stirring until it becomes a thick creme for about 8 minutes.
- Take one sheet and lay it flat.
- Brush phyllo with melted butter.
- Place 1 tablespoon of creme at the right edge of phyllo sheet.
- Fold it over once and fold the bottom-up and top-down.
- Now, roll all the way to the opposite end and place on the baking tray.
- Repeat until finished.
- Sprinkle the surface with milk and bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Let it cool.
- Make the syrup. Combine the honey, sugar, water, and orange juice in a saucepan, then bring to the boil. Boil for about 10 minutes until the syrup has thickened slightly.
- Immediately spoon hot syrup evenly over the galaktoboureko.