1 hour 30 minutes
4 cups milk
3/4 cup fine semolina
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 package phyllo dough for pies
Cinnamon and powdered sugar to dust (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F and thaw completely the phyllo dough.
2. Oil the bottom and sides of a baking tray. Unroll the phyllo dough from the plastic sleeve and place half of the phyllo in the bottom of the pan, brushed with olive oil.
3. We heat the milk with the sugar, semolina, butter, and vanilla. We stir until sugar is dissolved and ingredients mix well. Keep stirring until it comes to boil. Lower the temperature and slowly add the eggs. Keep stirring until it becomes a thick creme for about 8 minutes.
4. Make sure the filo runs outside the baking tray. Add the creme and fold the parts of the filo outside the edges of the tray inwards so that they cover the creme.
5. Cover the creme with the rest of the phyllo. Sprinkle the surface with milk and bake for 40-50 minutes.
6. Dust with powdered sugar and cinnamon.