- 3/4 cup hot milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp yeast plus 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 5 cups flour
- 15-20 pecan halves
- 1/4 cup melted butter, for brushing
- Pour the hot milk in a mixing bowl, add butter and stir to melt. Add sugar, pumpkin puree, salt to the milk and stir until everything is combined.
- In a small bowl add yeast, water and sugar. When it gets foamy add to the pumpkin mixture and add the egg.
- Add the flour and mix with a wooden spoon until combined. The dough will be sticky.
- Turn the dough out to a wooden board dusted with a little flour. Knead and form the dough into a ball shape, place in a greased bowl and cover with a cloth. Let it rise in a warm place until it doubles in volume, about 1 hour.
- Knead the dough and cut it in 20-30 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball shape with your hand. Using a knife, give 6 cuts on the edge to mimic flower petals but leave the center uncut.
- Poke the center with your finger and put the pecans.
- Place them on a baking pan lined with parchment paper and let them rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven 350ºF.
- Brush with egg wash, and bake for 15- 20 minutes until golden.
- Brush the rolls with melted butter.