ACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 1/2 cup feta shredded
- 1/2 cup cheese shredded (mozzarella, gouda, etc)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 package phyllo thawed
- sesame seeds for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and thaw completely the phyllo dough.
- Boil the potatoes and mash them with a fork in a bowl.
- Add the cheese, feta and spices in the bowl and stir.
- Add the milk and the egg, and stir until everything is combined.
- Oil the bottom and sides of a round baking tray -approx. 35cm diameter.
- Unroll the phyllo dough from the plastic sleeve and place one sheet of phyllo on a working surface and brush with olive oil. Spread some of the filling, making a lane on the edge of the larger side of the phyllo sheet and roll into a ‘sausage’. Then form a “snail” and place it on the baking tray.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough, placing the snail- rolls in the baking tray.
- Brash the surface of the pies with some milk and a beaten egg and sprinkle some sesame on top.
- Bake for an hour, until golden and crispy.