serves 18- 20
ACTIVE TIME: 45minutes
TOTAL TIME: 2 hours
- 1 package phyllo dough thawed
- 1 pound unsalted butter melted
- 4 cups nuts finely chopped (walnuts, pistachios, cashews, almonds)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
For the syrup
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup honey
- juice from one lemon
- Preheat the oven to 360oF.
- Butter the bottom and sides of your baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together: the nuts, sugar, cinnamon, cloves.
- Unroll the phyllo dough from the plastic sleeve and place one sheet of phyllo on a working surface and brush with the butter. Spread some of the filling, making a lane on the edge of the larger side of the phyllo sheet and roll into a ‘sausage’. Then form a “snail” and place it on the baking tray.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough, placing the snail- rolls in the baking tray.
- Bake at 360˚F for 50-60 or until tops are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let baklava cool completely, uncovered and at room temp.
- Let it cool and make the syrup. Combine the honey, sugar, water, and lemon juice in a saucepan, then bring to the boil. Boil for about 10 minutes until the syrup has thickened slightly.
- Immediately spoon hot syrup evenly over the baklava.