TOTAL TIME: 12 hours
Active time: 2-3 hours
- 1 pound dry chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
1. To prepare the chickpeas, put them in a bowl with water overnight.
2. Drain the chickpeas and put them in a pot with enough cold water to cover them. Boil them for 1- 2 hours until tender. Add more water if necessary in order not to dry.
3. Drain them and put them aside.
4. In another pot boil the rice. Drain the rice.
5. In a pan, put the olive oil. Add the rice and the chickpeas and all the spices. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add the lemon juice and stir. Cook for 2-3 more minutes.