A Greek Christmas tradition, Christopsomo translates as “bread of Christ.”
- 4 potatoes
- 4-5 cups flour
- 3 tbsp yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 cups warm water
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp anise
- 1/2 cup walnuts crushed
- Boil the potatoes and mash them.
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients and knead until you form a non- sticky dough.
- Cover and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough and form two balls. Take a piece from each ball to use it for decoration. Put the balls in two baking dishes.
- The pieces you put aside, divide them in half and mix one part with 2 tbsp cocoa powder.
- Take one piece of the dough and one from the cocoa dough and make two long ropes. Then braid them.
- Brush the dough in the pan with some beaten egg so that the 2 types of dough don’t stick together.
- Then place the 2 braids over it in the shape of a cross.
- Decorate as you wish with the remaining dough. Add some chocolate chips.
- Cover and let them rest until double the size ( 30 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 380oF.
- Bake for an hour.