1/2 cup olive oil
5 pounds spinach
1 teaspoon dill
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons nutmeg
3 pounds feta cheese crumbled
2 pounds grated cheese
1 teaspoon ground pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1 package phyllo dough for pies
2/3 cup milk
2 cups oatmeal
sesame seeds for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F and thaw completely the phyllo dough.
2. Boil the spinach for 5′-6′.
3. In a pan put the olive oil and sauté the spinach until it softens.
4. Tear up the spinach with your hands and transfer to a bowl. Add the dill, onion powder, garlic powder, nutmeg, feta cheese, cheese, pepper, salt, milk, eggs, and the oatmeal. Stir everything.
5. Cut the layered phyllo pastry into long strips about 7-8 cm wide.
6. Lay out one strip of phyllo at a time on your work surface with one of the narrow ends close to you. Place a tablespoon of filling on the end closest to you. Fold the bottom right corner over the filling to the left edge to form a triangle.
7. Fold the triangle up, bringing the point at the bottom left up to rest along the left edge. Turn the lower left corner over to touch the right edge – like folding up a flag. Continue turning the triangle over in this manner until you reach the end of the phyllo.
8. Place the spanakopitakia on a large baking tray with some parchment paper and brush the surface of the pie with some milk and a beaten egg.
9. Bake for 40 minutes, until golden and crispy.