1/2 cup olive oil
6 leeks chopped
2 spring onions chopped
5 pounds spinach
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 pound feta cheese crumbled
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 package phyllo dough for pies
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F and thaw completely the phyllo dough.
2. Boil the spinach, the spring onions, and leeks for 5′-6′.
3. In a pan put the olive oil and sauté the spinach, the spring onions, and the leeks until they soften.
4. Transfer to a bowl. Add the nutmeg, feta cheese, milk, eggs, salt, and the breadcrumbs. Stir everything.
5. Oil the bottom and sides of a round baking tray -approx. 35cm diameter.
Unroll the phyllo dough from the plastic sleeve and place one sheet of phyllo on a working surface and brush with olive oil. Spread some of the filling, making a lane on the edge of the larger side of the phyllo sheet and roll into a ‘sausage’. Place the roll on the baking tray, starting from the outer side of the tray. Repeat with the rest of the dough, placing the rolls (touching each other) in the baking tray, forming a ‘snail’, that leads to the center of the pan.
6. Brash the surface of the pie with some milk and a beaten egg and bake for 40-50 minutes, until golden and crispy.